speedy2
Expert**
Expert**

Message par speedy2 » 15 Juin 2012, 15:44

MK4
Elite
Elite

Message par MK4 » 15 Juin 2012, 22:06

oui , il y a encore 3 ou 4 ans ils avaient un site sur lequel on pouvais acheter des pièces detachées...

TR85
Champion du monde
Champion du monde

Message par TR85 » 05 Mai 2013, 13:33

DELTA
By Ken Campbell, January 1999
(reprinted from the SGRID conferences)

Hi Guys... geez it is so neat to have a working link with r/c news.... whee!!

Our first car (1968 ) was a one-off of the Ford GT-40. All independent suspension, I don't have that one, we gave it to the "third point" guy in the original Delta car "dream team" ; he was a model maker at McDonald (g) Aircraft in St. Louis; his wife thought he was expending way too much time building toy cars (she wuz right) so he had to go back to the real world; he hand laid up the bodies for the GT 40 out of epoxy/fglas. Had hundreds of hours in it.. male/female molds and everything. Our next car (our first ...? production?? car.) was the infamous ( dang the other guys hated that thing heh heh heh ) GTX, a rather.. strong car; chassis again was from epoxy/fg. It had full independent suspension, disk brake. We thought faster is better, so we recommended a K&B .40 (read: 7 cc ) engine as standard; my brother Bill had one with a Super Tigre .19, and mine was a Super Tiger .60. Dang that wuz fun. All I had to do was start it up and the other drivers would come over and ask me if I was really going to run that ..er. "dang" thing. I usually said ." oh, no, of course, not... ".

About that time (1969) things shook out so that nationally we decided (not me, I still think we need .40 power) to stick with the 3.5 displacement class, so our 9 lb GTX looked a little like the Titanic. Even for Delta guys there is such a thing as "too heavy".

We then developed a "D" car; solid rear but did have a sprung front end... the classic cross bar and vertical spring setup that actually doesn't work too bad on electrics even today. We did have little bushings that slid on the kingpins that you put some stp or such in for shock damping. (Heh Heh... you see this "simple" shock idea (newly developed, of course heh heh) on many really good electric cars today.) No need to applaud & inflate my ego, guys.

That car was our first production flat pan; It had a lay-down engine (oops, just recently introduced by a leading major innovator... heh heh... dang, I can't resist...) and had the normal Delta outboard clutch bearing-in-support that we still use.

The next car was the J car (about 1971); about the same configuration but with a narrower chassis so you easily run a Formula Body. Formula racing was pretty big then.... still miss it.

Then next was a "JF" or JFlex car, about '72. It had little bolt-on BatPans of light aluminum that you put your radio gear in; this kind of suspended the heavy wt; well, heck, it worked for slot cars.... I used the JF car to over-achieve my way into 3rd at the '72 nats.

Art Carbonell came on-board with us in '73, and we developed the SL car, which was a 2-piece chassis with which we did really well. The Marker guys out of Milwaukee were rock 'n rollin in those years with their stunningly gorgeous billet-milled chassis, and Mike Morrissey entered the fray with his Taurus car (strong & heavy... layover engine, too.). Thorp had his cars sorted out pretty well, and of course the Associated juggernaught was always a threat.... we midwest racers, with our EXTREMELY strong track boards and tight tracks were kind of hard on lightly built cars (g); we always thought of the Associated type designs as " Kleenex" cars.... the best way to campaign one of that type was to have one on the track, another running on the bench, another in your travel box, assumedly linked to another and another and another.... like Kleenex in a box...

During 1974, we developed the SS chassis, another 2-piece that had the front cross bar on a separate wobble plate from the rear & pod. The nats that year was in San Fransico, and Gary Kyes lead for awhile with an SS prototype, then lost a 10 cent throttle link YEOOOOWW Crash… Smoke.... Art was right behind him with another SS, and went on to win. Wow! thought we had a winner, so went into production with that... best remembered for it's SnackTray molded radio plate; had little pockets molded in for all the components... Steve Sanders made sure to furnish peanuts & MnM's at the races out of a SS tray. Of course he did win the SouthWest Series rather overwhelmingly with that car.

We ran that car in 1974/5, then developed a JL flat pan for '76. This was back to a conservative straight pan, of course with the sprung front end; this car just ran and collected trophies, nothing too fancy. It was with this car, as I remember, that Arturo started a rather incredible string of victories in the Heart of America... I think is was 30 some straight races that he won if he attended... of course, Art had everyone covered in driving skill, but I also have to point out that the car ( & pit crew (g)) had to be *real* good to pull off that run...). Art broke a K&B (another K&B) while leading the '76 nats. A sad day at Delta.

We fiddled thru '77 with the JL cars, developing our rather incredibly good (relative to the times (g)) Delta slide valve carbs, disk brakes, and in late '77 started running the prototypes of what was eventually to become the defining flat pan gas car, the Super J. We went to a billet bar front end with billet steering blocks with quick turn-in geometry, a G11 glass pan, and the bullet proof clamp-on flywheel/rulon fly weights (which we are still using some 20 years along now.. geez) ... also, since we now had the added power of the Schnuerle ported 3.5 engines to try to stick to the track, we decided to lower the car cg until it would probably drag the last few laps of a normal race. The car was good beyond even our optimistic hopes, a good combination of bullet proof and fast. We ran with the Super J in the flat pan classes up until at least 1988; occasionally there is still an attempt to bring back the flat pans, and usually it's a couple Super J's and an MRP or such that show up.

Don't ask, I have no idea why we are not still running a Flat Pan Class. Run Forever for not much $$, real fast, and lots of Pizza Hut Time. When the fully independents came in, in 1982, we lost 2/3 of the US club racers. When the 4-wheel rigs came in, we lost half of that 1/3 remaining.

For you Lurkers out there, yep, I have a standing offer to build a run of 200 Super J cars with YOUR brand on them if you want to try to revive that class. Call me anytime, night or day. Did I mention cash up front?? Hey! Have your own racing Stable! Equipe X !

Maybe I should mention here, that since 1982 the independents have become much more reliable and... maybe as importantly, more understood. The racers back then were used to crashing severely several times a lap and just pound it harder the next lap!! Great fun! When the independents, with their 400 moving parts came on the scene, Finesse was suddenly required, and many thought that took all the fun out of it and quit. Sigh. Anyway, the modern toy gas racer has been tinkered & tweaked into a pretty reliable assemblage of precious little gizzies that whirl, click, and whine.

Maybe kind of like a 75 mph, 2 horsepower Rolex watch, only a little more delicate and a little more expensive... (g).

But I digress... in '82 we developed the Red Eagle, 2 wheel independent, using the snazzy new Delta Pressurized Shocks all around; the '82 model had a low pivot swing front suspension; it worked quite well but only at one ride height (g).. for '83/4 we went to an adjustable upper link type FS that allowed many more combinations of out-of-adjustment(g).

And then we developed the current (!!) P ( an inside joke, the P is for Prototype, which we used because the US market went from thousands in the flat pan days to more like "dozens per production run" with the independents.) Series, the P4 and a few years later the P2 and then the P2G ( the G being in honor of Brent Gottfried, who suffered thru about 16 versions of the "G" development cars... quite some good stories there, heh? ).

And, starting about 1991, the Delta Fireball 1/10, a little nephew of the P2G. Hmmm... outta alloted space, but also need a donut..

Regards, Ken Campbell, Delta Toy Cars.
Gérard Saint-Brice, metteur en espace de la troupe des farfadets de Limoges

Répondre

Revenir vers « Pistes Delta »